Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Detroit Papers - No More Home Delivery

Well, it's official.

We reported here last week rumors that the Detroit Free Press and the Detroit News would both be cutting home delivery on most days of the week.

We also reported that they would announce their final plans today

CNN and other sources have reported what we feared most... read on.

But, is this a bad thing? It's been no secret that the future lies online, and that is what these papers are doing now - cutting home delivery on all but three days and boosting their electronic editions. Is this the future of the industry?

What do you all think about this news? Does this affect anyone's plans to major in news writing/editing at OU?

Also, we will have our promsied announcement up tomorrow, once we send it to membership via email! :D

Evan

1 comment:

Jessica Lovejoy said...

As dependant as we are on technology these days, it should be no surprise (don't get me wrong! It depresses me we're losing a fundamental source of media!) that companies are beginning to stop delivering newspapers. I suppose this is a slap in the face for my sake. I keep hearing from professors and alumni that as journalists, we need to be open to the fact that the media world is changing. I can't ignore that one day, newspapers are simply going to be obsolete, and will be replaced by faster, more efficient delivery of news, such as online. Right now, I'm in the newspaper and editing sequence at OU, but if I want to be serious about my future career as a journalist, I'm beginning to think I should seriously consider switching sequences towards something like online or magazine! I might not cut it in the real world with a newspaper and editing speciality these days!